In order to understand what pathology invaded your body, you need to accurately describe the symptoms. Back pain under the left shoulder blade from behind is a common symptom of serious health problems. The difficulty in determining a particular disease is that pain in this area of the back can manifest itself in various pathologies. From vascular lesions to pathologies of the nervous system.
Types of pain sensations
If the pain appears on the left under the shoulder blade, then it is necessary to understand what character it is. Several types of pain are known:
- Pain under the left shoulder blade of a shingles character is long-lasting, discomfort covers an area of the back. A painful attack leads to a feeling of lack of air, coughing and shortness of breath. The situation is related to the fact that there is a nervous pulsation in the intercostal space.
- The burning sensation is accompanied by numbness of part of the skin. The patient feels a tingling sensation that spreads throughout the body.
- Growing character. The peculiarity of this type is that the entire left arm begins to hurt, which leads to an increase in muscle tone. Hand movements become unbearable.
- Sharp intense. The person loses the ability to assume a lying position on the left side. Difficulty breathing is noted with heavy breathing. Movement increases the pain, then it becomes difficult to move.
- Discomfort in the back of the shoulder blade, characterized by displacement. Cutting pain occurs in the left shoulder blade and is then localized in the middle along the spine. The patient sighs audibly.
- Dull and aching, one might say, the simplest manifestation of the above. The whining in the area of the scapula will only be when the person moves, raise the sore arm.
- Pulling syndrome occurs in the upper back, across the spine to the lumbar spine.
- And another kind - a sharp character.
The list is not limited to the types of pain symptoms listed. There is pressing pain and tingling that cannot be confused with other manifestations.
Attention should be paid to the type of pain syndrome. It will be easier for a specialist doctor to determine your pathology.
What triggers the appearance of the syndrome?
Why is there discomfort under the shoulder blade? The appearance of pain under the shoulder blade can be explained by human anatomy. Often part of the body is affected and the uncomfortable feeling spreads along the nerve trunks to other organs. The left shoulder blade "lies" on the costal arches, which together form the rib cage. The costal arches are connected to one another with the help of ligaments and intercostal muscles.
Under each rib there are vessels and nerves that extend from the spinal cord, from the spine. The complex of ribs and left shoulder blade has a protective function. They limit internal organs from any kind of damage: heart, left lung, stomach, spleen, pancreas, and aorta.
Due to the anatomical location of the shoulder blade, two large groups can cause pain:
- Caused by an injury to the musculoskeletal system. This also includes muscle pain syndrome.
- Feelings due to dysfunction of internal organs.
To determine the cause of the onset of pain and make the correct diagnosis, the following types of diagnosis are prescribed for him:
- X-ray examination of the spine.
- CT, MRI.
- Ultrasound of the abdominal organs.
- UAC, LHC.
Depending on the damage factor, a specialist will prescribe treatment.
What is associated with
If there is pain from behind, the feeling is localized under the left shoulder blade - usually associated with one of the following diseases:
- Musculoskeletal pathology;
- Heart disease;
- Diseases of the bronchopulmonary sphere;
- Digestive tract dysfunction.
There are cases when the manifestations of painful sensations appear as a result of the destruction of the skeleton. Patients with osteochondrosis, spinal curvature, spondyloarthrosis, hernia and other diseases experience pain on the left under the shoulder blade. The symptom is of two kinds.
- First, aches and pains are associated with chest diseases. The character is painful, restricts movements, does not allow deep breaths.
- Another type manifests itself in the form of intense colic.
Shoulder scapular periarthritis is an inflammatory disease of the shoulder structure. Radiating pain occurs in the left arm, in the left half of the back, causing stiffness and pain when moving.
Sprengel syndrome is the presence of a pterygoid scapula in a patient, congenital or due to a disease. Persistent, tingling pain is characteristic.
Pathologies related to the heart and blood vessels
Acute ischemia of the heart muscle - myocardial infarction. In the event of a heart attack, compression in the chest area is characteristic. It spreads from the heart to the left shoulder blade, arm, and lower back. This condition can be fatal if left untreated. It is characterized by a pronounced burning sensation and severe pain under the left shoulder blade, which interferes with normal inhalation and exhalation.
The difference between myocardial infarction is that it is not stopped by taking nitroglycerin, the attack lasts more than 15 minutes. Numbness in the hands is common. One cannot hesitate with the development of the state.
Disease of the cardiac area, manifested by acute cuts in the heart with radiation under the left shoulder blade - an attack of angina pectoris. Primary manifestations - compression in the area of the heart spreads on the left side. The cardialgia is constricting and sharp and can be aggravated by movement.
The difference between angina pectoris and a heart attack is that an attack of angina pectoris can be stopped by taking nitroglycerin or by taking physical and mental rest. The cause of the attack is atherosclerosis of the heart arteries (coronary arteries). Provoking factors: hypothermia or overheating, alcohol abuse, copious food intake.
A vegetative crisis is a condition that resembles the manifestations of angina or heart attacks. Heaviness and compression occur under the left shoulder blade and in the sternum. It spreads over the left shoulder, forearm and reaches the terminal phalanges of the fingers. Irradiates the left side of the jaw and the area between the shoulder blades.
The pathology is characterized by chills, inspiratory dyspnea, chest tightness and lack of air. The syndrome is short-lived and spreads to the epigastric region, the throat. Taking sedatives and tranquilizers can help stop the vegetative crisis.
Respiratory diseases are also the cause of the appearance of unpleasant sensations in the left back area. The main place is pneumonia or pleurisy when at least one lung is affected. The pain syndrome is accompanied by coughing, sneezing, and increased pain on deep breaths. Characterized by an increase in temperature, a decrease in weight, wheezing in the lungs on auscultation. It is very difficult to breathe. Some kind of pain cuts.
Disorders in the organs of the digestive system
Increasing pain is characteristic of gastric ulcers. It is associated with ingestion of food, after vomiting the pain eases. It begins to pull in the stomach area. A reliable sign that it is a stomach ulcer is heartburn. Painful not only in the subscapularis but also on the left side of the chest. The process is accompanied by muscle tension and difficulty breathing.
If the pain syndrome appeared suddenly and is manifested by sharp impulses, it is necessary to urgently contact an ambulance. Acute pancreatitis can cause severe discomfort. The sensations are inherently shingles, the attack develops suddenly. A ruptured spleen can be a rare cause. With trauma to the spleen tissue, bleeding occurs that is almost impossible to stop. Emergency surgery is required.
Damage to the scapular region
- Cervical osteochondrosis.
- Injury to the walls of the intercostal nerves.
- Scapula-rib syndrome (occurs with physical overload, injury, can also slip and cause this syndrome).
- Malignant neoplasm of the skeleton.
- Osteomyelitis (can occur after a gunshot wound)
- The defeat of the subscapularis.
- Shoulder scapular periarthritis.
There are cases when painful sensations appear on the left side with psychological pathologies or strong psychoemotional stress. The reason for the appearance of pain syndrome is clear to everyone, it is provoked by stress and emotional stress. Psychosomatic diseases are accompanied by pain in the shoulder blade area, somatic disorders are noted. These include:
- The temperature rises to high numbers.
- Compression, burning in the sternum.
- Lump in the throat.
- Feeling of lack of air.
Who can you turn to
Given the intensity and type of pain under the shoulder blade, you can turn to the following specialists:
- If symptoms appear suddenly with increasing pain and deterioration in health, an emergency call is required.
- For trauma that led to uncomfortable sensations (stretching, lifting weights), contact a traumatologist.
- Difficulty breathing, bluish skin tone, tingling in the chest area should be reasons to see a cardiologist.
- For pain that increases with movement with the hands, physical activity and known diseases of the spine, it is necessary to consult a neurologist and orthopedic surgeon.
- Pain after eating, dyspeptic disorders (nausea, vomiting) are reasons to see a gastroenterologist.
- See a pulmonologist if your back hurts, especially under the left shoulder blade, accompanied by a cough and shortness of breath.
- If the pain is permanent or temporary and occurs for no apparent reason, contact a therapist. After a thorough examination and diagnosis, the therapist refers the patient to a close specialist.
- If the cause of the complaints could not be determined due to instrumental examination methods, the consultation of a psychologist and psychiatrist is necessary in the case of frequent stress, psycho-emotional stress.
Subscapularis pain therapy
There is no general regimen for treating patients with upper back pain. Therapy is carried out taking into account the etiology of the disease. For symptoms related to musculoskeletal disorders, treatment is carried out according to the following protocol:
It is necessary to give the patient special treatment.
- Make peace. There are times when adequate rest removes muscle strain, restores functionality, and relieves pain.
- The medical method of treatment is used in inflammatory processes. NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are prescribed.
- For long-standing, chronic pain, antidepressants are prescribed.
- Muscle relaxants are given for muscle spasms. To get the maximum effect, the drug is more often prescribed in combination with NSAIDs, analgesics, massage and physiotherapy procedures, as well as exercise therapy.
- The appointment of massage courses has a positive effect on the condition of the muscles. Helps relieve muscle spasms, relieve pain, improve blood circulation and wellbeing.
- To restore nerve conduction, remove painful symptoms, acupuncture is used.
The method of therapy is prescribed individually for bronchopulmonary, cardiac and gastrointestinal diseases. The necessary vitamins, antibacterial drugs, analgesics and NSAIDs are selected.
Patients with symptoms of heart attack and angina must be hospitalized.
When diagnosing aneurysms and severe pathologies, they resort to surgical intervention.
- Daily training, gymnastics. Hike for half an hour.
- Complete balanced diet.
- Prevent injuries to joints and bones.
What does the doctor say
Health professionals recommend that patients who have had an angina attack or heart attack take prescribed medication regularly, follow a diet, and avoid stress. Spinal disorders require long-term therapy with NSAIDs and exercise therapy. Pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract are stopped with the use of special drugs and adherence to a diet.
Doctors advise a healthy lifestyle, it is easier to prevent a disease than to cure it.
Knowing for sure the cause of the discomfort under the left shoulder blade will allow you to start treatment faster. It is necessary to correctly find out the cause of the discomfort. As soon as you have symptoms of any of the pathologies under consideration, seek medical advice immediately. Bless you!